reviewstash

by the stash, for the stash

Guest Information

Reviewstash isn't just another technology review website - it's your review website! Registered members can submit reviews to be featured on the home page, participate in contests, and ask questions in the forums - register today to get started! Registration also removes interstitial ads.
Topic rating: 0

#1 12/08/07 7:56 PM

sdm United States
Staff
Note: Border Zoned

Website
Tags: [motorola, phone, razr]

http://reviewstash.com/imgupload/2_v3xx.pngToday we're going to look at AT&T Wireless' latest phone, the Motorola V3XX, It’s thin, light and comes in a vibrant colors. The handset includes features like a 1.3 mega pixel camera and a media player with support for MP3, WMA, AAC, RealAudio and streaming audio. Included also are A2DP and microSD.

Price Tag: $349.99 or FREE with 2 year contract.

The Stash's Findings

DESIGN There is a mysterious, glossy black rectangle on the hinge facing the user where customers in other countries get a front-facing camera for video conferencing, but not here in the U.S unfortunately. The screen is the best we have seen on a RAZR by far: a 2.2-inch, 262,000-color, QVGA display that looks crisp browsing pictures and especially when viewing text. The interface is similar to older RAZRs, even dating back to the original RAZR V3 interface, but looks more polished, with better looking fonts, nice color gradients and smooth animations on icons and progress bars.

Calling The RAZR V3xx makes calls that sound clean and clear, with no static or digital distortion. Calls were dropped a one time on AT&T network in Sacramento California, but we ran our tests in Los Angeles without incident. Reception was strong; we typically full reception. In Reno, without 3G reception, we got just under 4 hours of talk time, though AT&T admits that 3G shortens the battery life slightly, even when you are not using the data capabilities. The phone has a wealth of calling options, including speaker-independent voice dialing, Bluetooth, and a speakerphone. Three-way calling required some light menu drilling, but was no problem to connect. The address book was comprehensive for a non-smart phone, with fields for e-mail, postal address, URL and unique ringer IDs. The contact list also supports live, while-you-type searching. Internet browsing on the 2.2-inch QVGA screen is a bit of a mixed bag. Though it's plenty bright, the scroll function on the built-in browser is too slow and the vertical orientation of the screen means it's good only for blogs and not standard horizontal sites but overall speeds overall is fantastic in most U.S major cities.

Media The V3xx's MP3 player also got a very necessary update. You can now search, sort, and view by album, artist, or title. In addition, you can upload MP3 or M4A files with bit rates of up to 256 kilobits per second to the phone at fast USB 2.0 speeds—about two seconds per song—using a standard mini-USB cable that you probably have lying around anyway. You can also transfer files over Bluetooth. Songs are stored on a microSD card under the back cover, though, thankfully, you don't have to remove the battery to get at it.

Verdict, Pros / Cons

If you’re a gamer looking for that extra edge on the competition this baby does the job. It’s perfect for all gaming situations; when sniping you can reach your finger over and quickly change the DPI to give you that extra edge. Once you get past the ridiculously long name, “gold plating” gimmick, and the design, you’re left with a comfortable gaming mouse that might just help improve your frag.

Pros:

Sexy slim look. Excellent reception and call quality.

Cons:

Poor Camera quality. The Motorola Razr V3xx isn't a quadband world phone.

12/08/07 7:56 PM

Advertisement Bot

#2 12/13/07 5:09 PM

Dwijesh Sheth's Default Avatar
Dwijesh Sheth China (PRC)
Website

I love this phone. I have never actually "dropped a call".

#3 12/14/07 7:01 AM

sdm United States
Staff

Website

Yeah, it's a pretty sweet looking phone.

#4 12/20/07 10:27 PM

Brian Whitmer's Default Avatar
Brian Whitmer United States
it looks like the same old same old razor business to me, no?

Microsoft > Apple

#5 12/20/07 11:00 PM

Website

It may look the same but its not.

#6 1/11/08 1:16 PM

still its just a phone. regardless of what tech they pack into them, all we ever do is txt talk and listen to music

Microsoft > Apple

#7 1/11/08 9:17 PM

Nic Meyer United States
Brian Whitmer wrote:

still its just a phone. regardless of what tech they pack into them, all we ever do is txt talk and listen to music

QFT

http://reviewstash.com/imgupload/thumbs/9_lol_drawing2.png

#8 1/11/08 9:53 PM

sdm United States
Staff

Website

That's why I have a used phone that cost $50 that I repaired with tape. But on to the actual review, It's a HUGE improvement over the original razr if you've ever used one.

#9 1/12/08 11:44 PM

Website

Daniel Levy wrote:

That's why I have a used phone that cost $50 that I repaired with tape. But on to the actual review, It's a HUGE improvement over the original razr if you've ever used one.

It makes sense if you have a cheap company like Surewest and MetroPCS but if you have a good company most likely you are going to get the phone you like for free with a two year contract, and ofcourse you gotta have some stlye with your phone and your personality.

#10 1/13/08 8:44 AM

Nic Meyer United States
lol, I got my phone free with my contract and back then it was an alright phone.

However, I don't see the point in paying to upgrade when the real point is to call and txt.

and paying extra for style and personality on a phone is dumb imo.

#11 1/13/08 9:54 AM

Website

Nic Meyer wrote:

lol, I got my phone free with my contract and back then it was an alright phone.

However, I don't see the point in paying to upgrade when the real point is to call and txt.

Not really especially if the upgrade is free!

#12 1/13/08 5:24 PM

Nic Meyer United States
That just means that if they can afford to offer it free that the phone wasn't worth the money anyways.

#13 1/13/08 5:50 PM

sdm United States
Staff

Website

Or that the yearly service contract was worth more than the phone to them.

#14 1/13/08 6:53 PM

Website

Eh, I like the plans $69.99 nationwide is cool for me plus I have family all over the states so this works out for me. It just depends how you use the service.

#15 1/15/08 12:54 PM

Nic Meyer wrote:

exactly... the only other use of a cell phone would be for the horrible little camera that destroys pictures.. and even the worst phones these days come with 1.5-2 megapixle cams. and higher now.

Last edited by Brian Whitmer (1/15/08 12:55 PM)

Microsoft > Apple

Board footer

Optimized for 1280x1024 @ 32 bit
Fueled by FluxBB
Top 20 Posts
Who's Online
Index Map
About Us