reviewstash

by the stash, for the stash

Information

What's the future of RVS? Please check this post and vote!
Topic rating: 0

#1 6/10/12 11:24 AM

Qwip
Award: Contributor Diamond 1
Note: MIA
When I first started on the server one of the first areas introduced to me was the endermen farm. This thing was possibly one of the best mob grinders I had ever seen to that point and I couldn’t wait to give it a whirl. Everyone used it and I had assumed (as did others I am sure) that this work of genius could only be an OP built structure used by everyone. It was only later through a heated discussion between Jouis (hope the spelling is right) and Schematix that I realized that not only where people not welcome at the new farm but the original was technically private as well.

It is my feeling that it is the right of the builder to determine who can and cannot use their creations and although Jouis seemed to tolerate use of his area, I suddenly felt I was intruding. To solve this I built a third endermen farm and declared it public. There were people who did not like this at all, sighting reasons that seemed unsupported for the most part. However, there is one reason that can be easily tested. There are only a set number of endermen in the end. To test this have one person simply stand at one farm doing nothing and have another person kill endermen at the other. Eventually the worked farm will stop spawning and all the endermen will be at the unworked farm. This means only one person can be in the end at any location for the farms to work (I know I know some of you told me so big_smile ).

The thing is, I figured if the farms were built in different chunks no issues should arise. The system would simply treat these chunks like it does on the regular world. I could find nothing on the net to validate what people kept saying and some of it really was bunk. Well as stated previously, my reasoning doesn’t work that way at all. Given that the resources are at a finite amount we cannot afford individual building and policy in this area.

I propose a solution and policy. Jouis’s farm is the closest and easiest to get to. It needs repair and updating though. Some of the things at that location also cause lag or are simply not needed in the end (I am thinking along the lines of chicken machines). People have broken glowstones and replaced them with worthless stones. This shouldn’t happen as a person can literally work the enders with a slice of watermelon. How glowstone gets busted up is beyond me. If Jouis is willing to formerly declare his farm public and SDM is agreeable, I propose we upgrade and update Jouis’s farm, dismantling the other two for the parts needed. I also propose that no other structures be allowed in the end. This should provide a maximized farm that everyone is comfortable using and solve the issue of farm bias.

What do you think folks? I am more than happy to put in the elbow grease and already have the practice in to pull this off. I am betting some of the current members would like the opportunity to help as well.

6/10/12 11:24 AM

Advertisement Bot

#2 6/10/12 11:39 AM

Shandrew82's Default Avatar
Shandrew82 United States
Champion
Award: Contributor Diamond 3
Note: ✔️✔

I think this is a good idea. Alot of people didn't want the farm public because it would be overcrowded,which was true at first, but as you can see now, its hardly every crowded. i think that if there is only 1 farm, and the materials from the others are used, there should be 1 or 2 more harvesting areas. that way more endermen will build up, and more people can use it at once.

http://i.imgur.com/4X8Bt5y.jpg

#3 6/10/12 12:05 PM

Qwip
Saddly that wont work either. the number of endermen seems fixed. more than one person working the area drastically increases level time. Unless by making another station in that area somhowincreases the max number of endermen. This didnt work in single player moder though sad

#4 6/10/12 3:12 PM

Gummy Mexico
Veteran
Note: Drama Queen

Website

*Jousis

#5 6/10/12 4:21 PM

goingsolo211 United States
Note: culinary seXXpert

Technically when the farm was first built, it was called the public enderman exp farm. We made it a public farm and tried to have it be the only one so nothing would interfere with it. All along everyone was supposed to be able to use it as they felt like. That's why there was a chest room where people could claim chests. I haven't been on in a while so I don't know what happened with that, but the first farm isn't Jousis's farm, it's the SDVSS farm.

Official Skinner of the SDVSS OPs.

http://reviewstash.com/showimage.php?pid=11766&filename=untitled1.JPG
NO <- OP intervention

#6 6/10/12 4:43 PM

IrashiHeart77 United States

Okay guys. Let me put you all straight.
One, I also made he farm the along with Jousis. We both have equal rights to it. Two, when Jousis and I built the farm it was public and it still is. Although the problem is, people don't know the difference between public and open...

Think of the endermen farm as a movie theater. One problem is that PyroFTW decided to build a MASSIVE chest room and he was selling his chest space to other people! We had a chest room such as this as well. He is at the movie theater selling his popcorn, figuratively.

Also, -as you all know- people love to grief. The Snow Golem that supplied us with the snow... murdered. I have replaced him several times. People are filling all chests with enderpearls, the discs we made for people to listen to were stolen and replaced with more pearls, people change the signs whillie-nillie. And just make the place a mess. Like spashing soda all over the screen and making all the seats sticky, making the movies harder to watch, and turning people away from the theater.

Schem's Farm however is 100% private and only him and the people who helped and are permitted by him are allowed to use it.

Why the hell did you think making a whole new farm was an okay idea? You are just worsening the problem! Now we all split the endermen in thirds.

I say we clean up the original farm that Jousis and I made, and add guidelines. I hate making rules and restricting privileges but this is why we can't have nice things!

Any Questions?

-Cha' Boy RashE.

#7 6/10/12 4:47 PM

IrashiHeart77 United States

I had to double post. Sorry!

And technically we can't tear down Schem's without Admin permission... But we can stop people from ever building there again. Looks like for now on all you can do in the End is mine EndStone and maybe build a city if it is 100% endermen proof (2 1/2 blocks tall rooms, water ceiling, not able to spawn or even tp to).

-Cha' Boy RashE.

#8 6/10/12 5:52 PM

Shandrew82 United States
Champion

the only problem with "your and jousis's" "public" farm is, when push comes to shove, theres still the "well i helped build this so i have more of a right than you do" Im not saying anyone is guilty of this, im just saying that its very easy to use the "i built it card" instead of a first come first server thing. I know that was the plan originally when talk was first made about the enderman farm. the people that helped build it would get priority over people that didnt help. thats the kinda stuff that doesn't really make it public, and makes it more exclusive.

#9 6/10/12 7:12 PM

Qwip
I am not sure why the venom is needed. Let me recap:
    I admitted in the forum my thinking was flawed.
    It was explained why the situation came to be
    Deconstruction was volunteered on the very farm built in favor of one farm
    What was discovered first hand was shared so others would understand

I should also say that when I say “I” it also means “we”. When a problem occurs in the real world and you approach your boss with a problem and say, “I noticed people are having a problem with….. so in attempt to resolve the issue I …..” He will either help you with the problem  and help with a solution or say, “what the hell did you do that for?” You see? The second response will not result in a meaningful solution, designed to make the work place a better environment. Now if you go in with the same problem and used the word “we” the employer will not acknowledge the problem at all but instead will want to know all the names and retaliate in some way. This will be done whether the employer is conscious of the act or not.  It is human nature. I choose to use the word “I”  because I can take whatever negative action might come my way. The best I can do is put forth the initial problem in the most neutral way possible and hope cooler heads will prevail.

So to recap again using the plural form (and no I won’t be giving names. If they want to post their response they will). Some of us where made to feel that we might not be welcome at either farm. Some of us did not know for sure who could answer our questions on the matter. Different people gave different answers. A better understanding exists now that some of us newer members have been able to weed out the B.S from the fact. The new farm would not reject anyone unless an OP did so.

The end has a finite resource and should not be controlled by any one player. To be other than an OP and to say someone can or cannot use this resource is wrong. I am suggesting a revamp of the original farm incorporating as many of the community members as possible. This instills pride and will result in more people policing the area and keeping in line those who don’t. My biggest error in building the publicly proclaimed farm was not incorporating others to help. All people should be able to feel free to climb up and fix pistons or perform other minor repairs. They should also be able to make reasonable modifications with OP approval. They should not have to wait for Schem, jousis, Irashi or my approval. To do so suggests something that really isn’t for the community at all. In other words I am asking everyone to give up all claims to anything in the end in favor of a fresh start with no strings attached.

Sorry I mutilated your name Jousis tongue

#10 6/10/12 7:20 PM

Shandrew82 United States
Champion

*cough* another surprise end reset *cough*

wink

#11 6/10/12 7:50 PM

Redcoder's Default Avatar
Redcoder United States
Soo, what caused this problem in the first place?? I've used both the snow enderman farm, and the one with lots of stone bricks, because i was told it was public (signs said so, and storage chests for sale etc.) I personally never had a problem with the end not spawning that many enderman, there were times when someone was on the mainland, spawn dropped, but then it'd pick back up... so i don't really see an issue with the way things are. smile

~Just one more blo... Diamond!!, Just 1 more vein...~

#12 6/10/12 8:03 PM

PlaidMustache's Default Avatar
PlaidMustache United States
with 1.3 and leveling being linear and the cap at 30 this would just be a waste to put into affect

I make joke, You laugh, We all die a little on the inside

#13 6/10/12 8:05 PM

Qwip
The whole thing that convinced me is that one night I was trying to work one farm and someone went afk for half an hour to an hour at the other. Within about 5 minutes the spawn completely stopped. I went to the other farm and no endermen spawned above ground along the way, the other farm was a black mass of endermen.  I went back to the first farm and it still would not spawn. I ended up working the farm where the afk person was. While the original farm will hold as many as the other two it does not respawn as fast. So if anyone is anywhere in the end, in another chunk, and not killing enders your spawn will stop and all enders will spawn in the unworked area. While I figured working two farms wouldn’t be a problem before because of my chunk delusion, it turns out it really is a problem. I wasn’t alone in this school of thought as information on the web seems to be missing or hard to find regarding endermen spawn.

#14 6/10/12 10:53 PM

pyroftw
The original one was rushed (imo) and therefore has some flaws (2tick pushers instead of 1 tick), built at y10-15~ I  can't speak for qwips, but the one me and schem (mainly) built starts at y:1, and uses 1tick pushers (1/2 of which are capable of 0 ticking, but if i ever got around to an on off switch it would be fine)

#15 6/15/12 11:14 AM

nerfteen United States

i agree that there should be only one enderman farm to increase spawn rates. and if we redo the nether hub, there should be a rail to get to it that's clearly marked as public. it should have some guidelines, but they shouldn't be excessively strict, and should not give builders or contributors any more authority than just regular players. (that's he OPs job)

http://signaturecraft.us/signatures/eJzLSy1KK0lNzePSCs5Mz0ssKS1KVUjPTy1WyEgtStXiyoNJ-2bmpSYXJaaVIFgKrolFJRlcRqamcGwIAGtwGeI~.png

Board footer

Optimized for 1280x1024 @ 32 bit
Fueled by FluxBB
Top 20 Posts
Who's Online
Index Map
About Us