reviewstash

by the stash, for the stash

Guest Information

Reviewstash isn't just another technology review website - it's your review website! Registered members can submit reviews to be featured on the home page, participate in contests, and ask questions in the forums - register today to get started! Registration also removes interstitial ads.
  • Forum
  •  » News
  •  » Rollback / Restore T-Mobile HTC Amaze to Stock Rom
Topic rating: 0

#1 6/12/12 3:15 PM

sdm United States
Staff
Note: Border Zoned

Website

If you have an S-ON HTC Amaze running a custom recovery and ROM, then you might run into some trouble when attempting to revert your HTC Amaze to entirely stock, factory configuration. Most of the information available online is either incomplete or entirely incorrect. As such, I thought that it might be helpful to list the steps I needed to complete before I could successfully rollback my HTC Amaze and use HTC's official ICS update. The software mentioned in this guide is Windows specific.

0) Download and install the HTC Drivers from here.

1) Download the "HTC Amaze 4G All-In-One Toolkit V3.2" from here. Launch the application and run the "Mainver Error Fix" - this will allow you to downgrade. Next, use the "Relock Bootloader" command; you will not be able to downgrade unless you run this step. Be sure, if you have SuperCID, to revert that as well (you will know if you configured SuperCID or not).

2) Download the stock system image "PH85IMG_Ruby_TMOUS_1.43.531.3_Radio_1.08.550L.19DC_30.66.550L.08D_release_228638_signed.zip" from here. I suggest using "http://www.hlusoe.info/hotfile" to speed up the download.

3) Rename the file to "PH85IMG.zip" and place it in the root of your SD card (it will not be read from your internal memory, you must use an SD card).

4) Turn off your device and remove the battery. Reinsert the battery and simultaneously hold the volume down and power buttons (to boot fastboot).

5) Fastboot will detect the image file on your external storage. After it completes loading, accept the "update" - this will revert you to stock (including recovery and radio).

6) Now, after the process completes, you will be able to run the "HTC Software" OTA update for ICS.

If you have any questions, need clarification, or have suggestions of your own, please post to this thread - I hope this information is useful.

6/12/12 3:15 PM

Advertisement Bot

#2 6/13/12 1:52 AM

thelo's Default Avatar
thelo
Hi Daniel

I'm mostly trying to restore to stock because of the official ICS update. I imported my HTC Amaze 4g (T-Mobile) and basically HTC washed their hands saying they won't support it in my country, I have to get phone to US for an update.

So I need to return to stock for the update.

I've renamed the file, and get an ANDROID screen on rebooting (looks like the ROM is unpacking).

How long does this typically take? Anything else I need to take into account?

#3 6/13/12 8:11 AM

sdm United States
Staff

Website

If you launch fastboot (skateboarding android screen), you should have a small progress bar on the far right side of the screen. After loading, it should ask you if you would like to update.

You will need to run the "Mainver Error Fix", if you do not, the system will not let you downgrade.

#4 6/13/12 9:26 AM

thelo's Default Avatar
thelo
I think that's exactly my problem.

The status bar runs, but doesn't generate any errors.

A possibly stupid and newbie question: Currently no ROM is active, I do however have 4eXT installed as a Recovery system (nice touch system). I also have the All-in-one Toolkit for doing the "Mainver Error Fix". However, the AIO keeps saying device not found.

Where exactly do I need to be, Recovery / Bootloader, in order for my machine to trigger this via ADB?

#5 6/13/12 10:10 AM

sdm United States
Staff

Website

Ah, if you have 4EXT, you need to run both the Mainver fix and then relock your device.

That's the first error I had - where it loads but does not update; pretty frustrating.

I was able to run the AIO from an instance of Android. Try doing a factory restore and launching whatever ROM you had installed (it will still be there), then make sure USB debugging is enabled, install your HTC drivers and give the AIO a whirl.

It also seems to sometimes work from the recovery. I had no luck launching ADB commands from the bootloader.

#6 6/13/12 10:12 AM

thelo's Default Avatar
thelo
Thanks for the continued replies, Daniel.

I've had no luck with either installing the RUU stock or the ICS RUU.

I have however run CM7 and BeastMod in the past.

If you could help me understand the process better that would help me a lot.

Some questions: why the unlocking and relocking in some cases?

#7 6/13/12 10:25 AM

sdm United States
Staff

Website

No, I meant that you should try running a custom ROM ATM, something that you can flash via recovery.

Then, after running a factory reset, which will have your custom ROM at "stock", run the AIO commands from your custom ROM.

Afterwards, you should be able to load and "update" from the bootloader.

You will always need to relock before you run the stock RUU. I am guessing the ICS RUU is modified in someway.

#8 6/13/12 10:30 AM

thelo's Default Avatar
thelo
Ah ok.

I get it, so ROM is only way to execute ADB commands. I see.

Would any old custom ROM work, or just stock (I'm assuming stock is supplier provided standard ROM)?

Well, I'm trying to get xBoarder's original stock ROM to install now, I'll update you in a bit. Man, did this turn into a mission.

#9 6/13/12 10:33 AM

sdm United States
Staff

Website

Yeah, it's a total pain in the rear-end.

Do you really not have any ROM at all? If you do a full wipe and factory reset from your recovery, then it simply configures your last custom ROM to its "stock" configuration. Which, for the AIO, is A-OK.

#10 6/13/12 10:36 AM

thelo's Default Avatar
thelo
The original RUU nuked my BeastMOD rom, so, currently no ROM, which is why I'm so eager to get this working, currently 0 phone functionality, and don't really want to install something I'm not going to use.

#11 6/13/12 10:38 AM

sdm United States
Staff

Website

Ah.

sad

#12 8/05/12 10:57 PM

Adi0524's Default Avatar
Adi0524
Thanks for share good replies!!!

Last edited by Adi0524 (8/09/12 10:24 PM)

#13 8/16/12 10:14 AM

Curtis DGAF's Default Avatar
Curtis DGAF
Thanks Man!!!  finally got it!!big_smile

#14 9/18/12 9:32 PM

trevb707 United States
how can you change it to stock rom if the restore dose not work from the clockwork mod
an the rom does not want to boot up ..i know there was a way through the command Prompt just dont know how. i can probably use a different phone to down load the files but i can not get the phone to boot

htc amaze 4g
neutral

#15 11/24/12 11:51 PM

amadalillian's Default Avatar
amadalillian
thank you, i will regard it as a good idea

• Forum
  •  » News
  •  » Rollback / Restore T-Mobile HTC Amaze to Stock Rom

Board footer

Optimized for 1280x1024 @ 32 bit
Fueled by FluxBB