reviewstash

by the stash, for the stash

Information

What's the future of RVS? Please check this post and vote!
Topic rating: 0

#1 7/10/12 11:28 AM

healthyspartan El Salvador

I have settled near Sailors Retreat (Idk how close, it is just where Qwip said I was). I am making a large underwater base.

I needed to get to NK for supplies (I don't have a sand gen). I was also going to get obsidian for my own portal so I wouldn't have to use a boat to travel cross oceans to get back and forth.

Unfortunately, the portal I have made (many blocks away from Alec's portal)  Is liked to Alec's nether hub portal. When I go back through, I end up in Alec's base.

I need somebody to help me make a portal that is not connected to any others. Shown here are pics of Alec's portal, my base's coordinates, And the nether hub portal that I warped to from my own portal.

Uploaded Images

Ένας Σπαρτιάτης δεν αποτυγχάνει ποτέ, πάντα νικάει.

7/10/12 11:28 AM

Advertisement Bot

#2 7/10/12 11:43 AM

Kurathedog United States
Non-Vanilla Moderator
Note: Time consumed by school.

Method one: Minecraft wiki

Method two, from a post I refound that I made in February. (Note this was before world height, but I still think it applies as portals above 128 are derpy.

Kurathedog wrote:

Portal mechanics time! (From what I remember)

You are in overworld. You enter portal at X, Z. Game looks for the nearest portal around X/8, Z/8 in the nether within a 257x257x128 area. If there is none, it kinda guesses, and places one in the best looking spot.

You are in the nether. Similarly, You enter at X,Z. Game looks for nearest portal around 8Z, 8Z in the overworld within the same 257x257x128 area. Again, guesses.

If there are two portals for "nearest" (same x and z), I think it takes the top one. Or the bottom one. Either way, it stays consistant.

Note how funky the scaling works with the 257x257 area. Two overworld portals 2000 blocks away can potentially link to the same nether portal, while two nether portals over 32 ish blocks from each other can't link up to the same overworld portal.
Also lets you pull strange and neat tricks, where the two different sides of the 2x3 portal (left v right) can actually lead to different places.

To get a pair of portals correctly working, build a portal in both the nether and overworld at the exact coordinates (Overworld is 8x coordinates of nether), to ensure that they see each other as the closest portals, and so form a proper link.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
-Robert J. Hanlon

#3 7/10/12 11:47 AM

Thanks!

You are a helpful evil genius

By your logic, I must need a portal at Nether Coordinates of

X +8176

Z +3720

--These are the Western portal blocks.

Anyone want to help?

Last edited by healthyspartan (7/10/12 12:24 PM)

#4 7/10/12 1:39 PM

Qwip
Award: Contributor Diamond 1
Note: MIA
I will help you get connected correctly when I log on later. As for sand gens I noticed night made one for the residents of Sailors retreat. It is almost within sight of where you settled but I cant remember what direction. I will point you out to that as well.

Oh if your not on when I log on I will just go ahead and fix it for you.

#5 7/10/12 2:23 PM

Shandrew82's Default Avatar
Shandrew82 United States
Champion
Award: Contributor Diamond 3
Note: ✔️✔

http://i.imgur.com/4X8Bt5y.jpg

#6 7/10/12 3:06 PM

No need about the portal Qwip (I got Dee to fix it) but thanks anyway.

Altho, if you want to show me where SR is, I would be welcome to listen.

Board footer

Optimized for 1280x1024 @ 32 bit
Fueled by FluxBB
Top 20 Posts
Who's Online
Index Map
About Us