reviewstash

by the stash, for the stash

Guest Information

Reviewstash isn't just another technology review website - it's your review website! Registered members can submit reviews to be featured on the home page, participate in contests, and ask questions in the forums - register today to get started! Registration also removes interstitial ads.
  • Forum
  •  » News
  •  » Contest #2: Win VisionTek's Radeon HD 5550 GPU
Topic rating: 0

#1 10/14/10 6:56 PM

Daniel Levy United States
Staff
Note: UTF Spokesman

Website

Contest results are here!

May 14th to October 24th, 11:59PM

Do you want to win one of the most efficient low-profile video cards ever manufactured? Or, do you just enjoy the idea of winning a free video card that has an MSRP of $99.99 and one whole gigabyte of memory? Either way (and I don't blame you if you fall into the latter category), May 14th through October 24th is your chance to win VisionTek's Radeon HD 5550 Video Card (as reviewed here). What's the catch? You have to take a few seconds to register, and then post a response to this thread detailing your most memorable video gaming experience. Remember that time you lost Civilization IV due to global warming? You might have lost then, but your hilarious experience might win you a shiny new video card! So, what are you waiting for? Enter today!
http://reviewstash.com/files/visiontekHD5550/boxfront.jpg
Steps to Enter:

1) Register
2) Think about your most memorable video gaming experience.
3) Press "reply," and post your response in this thread (one time).

Rules / Further Information:

Please send questions pertaining to the contest to me in a private message.

The individual that has the most creative response will be chosen as the winner of the HD 5550.

All members may enter, except Moderators / Administrators (obviously). But, if a minimum of ten people do not enter, I may extend the contest.

Shipping is really, really expensive, so I'd prefer to ship only to the Continental United States. You, however, are welcome to enter, and if you'd like, maybe we can arrange splitting up the shipping payment.

Also, I will personally check IP addresses, and use a list of known proxies to determine if a user is unique or not. Basically, this contest is limited to one entry per household.

Finally, I accept no responsibility if the video card explodes during transit or arrives DOA. Blame the messenger (just this once)! I did, however, test it during the review, and it does work well.

Good luck!

Hello, Reddit! If you have the time, please help me out by upvoting the post you came from. This contest is not random, so reducing the number of entries isn't going to really help you statistically! Also, don't be shy - feel free to join other conversations on the forum.

Caution: Please save your submission in a text document, this website's security can be very picky, and your post may not go through the first time! PM me if you are having problems!

10/14/10 6:56 PM

Advertisement Bot

#2 10/16/10 9:22 AM

wargleboo's Default Avatar
wargleboo
I think that my most memorable gaming experience would be my first real LAN party.

It was a grand time, way back in the day, when a 700mhz Duron PC with a 32mb video card was pretty bitchin'

Getting all 12 computers set up in a tiny room with a patchwork collection of hubs, routers, and cables was quite difficult, but after a while, my friends and I were all set for our digital party!

I had never had so much fun playing multi-player games; it was amazing to be able to coordinate teamplay so effectively, since we could actually talk to each other in real-time(voice chat on a 56k was unthinkable).

Counter Stike(still in beta), Unreal Tournament, Quake 1-3, Total Annihilation, Grand Theft Auto 2, and large helpings of caffeine kept us awake well into the next day. We had more people than computers, so when a few of them passed out on the floor, others stepped in to take their place in the electronic warfare.

I've been to a few other LAN parties, but that was definitely the most fun and exciting one I've been to.

It still makes me smile. =)

#3 10/16/10 9:53 AM

c4isbad's Default Avatar
c4isbad
Back when battlefield 1942 was fresh and all the rage we would love to have LAN party birthday parties and spend all day eating chips and shooting the crap out of each other.

This one day in particular I had developed a headache, I get a lot of headaches (migraines actually!). I didn't really know how to handle them back then, nor how to keep myself from getting them. I had been drinking a lot of soda, eating chips, eating chocolate, staring at a computer screen for hours and hours. This was bad news for my head.

My migraine started building slowly, it started off as a slight discomfort which i easily shrugged off. That Dessert Combat mod was just waaay too involving, ya know? Map after map I fuel my raging headache with more head poison and my gameplay starts to degrade drastically.

I have a throbbing pain on one side of my forehead, its hard to keep that eye open, the computer monitor light and sounds of gun fire are splitting my skull and i'm starting to feel nauseus. But I was stubborn, I wanted to keep playing and I didn't want to look like a bitch in front of my friends (I had been losing pretty hard for a while).

I'm trying to give myself some secret rest by playing sniper-camper-paininthe and hiding in some corner. In a haze I spot an enemy and figure I should kill him to keep up the charade that i'm still actually playing. I track him a little bit, waiting for him to stop and give me the easy headshot. Something felt really wrong.

My stomach suddenly churned, I turned my head sideways and let out a torrent of puke. It was everywhere, the floor, the rug, on my box, someone's spare headphones. It was party puke too! Cake, hot dogs, soda, chips.

I was super embarassed, everyone was looking at me like I was dying. They all stopped to help me and get things cleaned up, so I took advantage and sniped my target in a final blaze of glory and shame. Then I collapsed on the couch and waited to get picked up by dad.

Ah, memories!

#4 10/16/10 10:02 AM

Andrewr05
My most memorable moment was when I finally saved up enough money to buy Deus Ex in 2001.
Up until that point I played the demo version OVER and OVER and OVER, I liked it so much I even downloaded an advanced patch/hack that let me play the second area on the demo.

I love that game.

#5 10/16/10 10:26 AM

jggerena's Default Avatar
jggerena
My most memorable moment was this summer that i was able to finally build a simple gaming pc, and to discover were all my old friends were playing the same game so I join in for old time sake. since then its been like a Saturday morning getting friends together and playing n64 golden eye.

#6 10/16/10 10:53 AM

Parish50 United States
I'm going to have to say my most memorable ( and frustrating ) gaming moment was with Earthbound. At the time of playing it I was very busy, and had almost no time to play it. So after about 2-3 months I am at the Fourside Sewers, ready to leave off to Scaraba ( for people who have not played the game this is a bit farther than halfway through the game ).

Anyways, I made my way through the sewers, and to the end boss, who was actually not to tough to kill. After getting everything I needed down there I got ready to go back up, excited for what was to come next. Right as I'm climbing the ladder to get out of the sewers and continue the journey something terrible happened, and what will be the most frustrating moment is video game history for me.

First the game froze for a second, making some odd clicking noise. After waiting about 3 minutes for it to stop I decided to reset it, thinking I can just continue at the last time I saved. When I loaded the game up I was at Onett, right as you start the game for the first time. Confused, I reset the console once more, checked the save, and apparently it decided to delete 2-3 months of my life. I felt an overwhelming sense of anger and confusion so great that I felt sick to my stomach. I stopped playing the game since. But I have recently picked it up, and am 1.5/4 of the way through it again. I can only pray to god it won't happen again.

#7 10/16/10 11:03 AM

omnilynx's Default Avatar
omnilynx
Let me preface this by saying that I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a multiplayer gamer. I rarely enjoy competitive matches, and even when I venture onto MMOs, I usually solo. My favorite games are those where I can explore a vast wilderness or build my own empire.

However, sometimes I enjoy a match with some friends. I'm usually at the bottom of the rankings, but I have fun and try to help my team anyway. One night at my dorm, my friend (and neighbor; he was much better at multiplayer FPS and played all the time) and I were playing a little free game called Paintball 2. It differs from most FPSs in that it's one shot, one kill, so it's very fast-paced. I had been playing the same as normal, helping my team out but not standing out in any way. There were about 16 in the match: my friend and I, some strangers, and a couple of bots to liven things up. The rounded ended and we moved on. With dismay I saw that the next round was a deathmatch; every man for himself. I waited patiently to be dominated.

But as soon as I came out of the gate, I killed two players easily. I picked up a new gun (not the best, but serviceable) and set out, and somehow I was golden. I navigated the level perfectly. I had a faster reaction than the bots. I had better tactics than the other players. Every shot I lined up, I hit. I don't think I went ten seconds the entire round without a kill. No one could hit me. I dodged bullets. Finally the buzzer at the end of the round sounded and the rankings came up. I had perhaps twice the score of second place. I jumped up and ran into my friend's room, whooping.

It was not a permanent effect. I soon went back to merely getting by in that and other multiplayer games, though my newfound confidence helped. I have had many great experiences with games since then: the cinematography of Half Life 2, the sheer scale of Oblivion, the intricate control of Civ IV. But I'll always remember that night for the raw exultation of the acme of skill.

#8 10/16/10 11:18 AM

Infinimitsu
Video games have filled my life with so many great memories, but my most treasured and vivid memory stands out among the rest.  I was 10 years old.  After my family and I finished watching a movie at the theater and headed toward the exits in the lobby something caught my eye and I stopped walking.  The machine stood thirty or forty feet away from me, it's intense colors, music, and sounds punctured the crowd's chaos and captured my senses.  The animation was like no game I had ever witnessed, rivaling even the cartoons I watched on Saturday mornings.  No one was playing it, so the game was going through it's demo mode showcasing two fighters trading blows.  One was dressed in a red gi, furiously unleashing impressive move after impressive move.  The other was a hulking green beast, gnawing, scratching and ferociously trying to fight his way to victory.  I remember watching these two characters pull off super moves like fireballs or pulsing with electricity.  The green beast won the match and let out an ear-piercing roar.  Standing there, transfixed by what I had just witnessed, I didn't even realize that my family had left me.  Luckily, by the time I was able to break my trance-like state and looked around my dad was making his way back in the lobby door and was headed straight towards me.  He didn't look too happy, but I didn't really care.  I wanted quarters.

Needless to say, that game was Street Fighter II.  I didn't get my quarters that night, but machines popped up all over town and I got my chance to play.  One year later, and I was that kid at the local Street Fighter II machine in the video rental shop destroying all challengers who lined up to get a taste.

Last edited by Infinimitsu (10/16/10 11:20 AM)

#9 10/16/10 12:02 PM

Stepinstone's Default Avatar
Stepinstone
Summer was always a strange time for me.  I think it stems from my parents divorce and the subsequent 1000 miles they put between each other.  Id spend the summer in transit, visiting different places.  I was hardly ever at home to visit my friends to play (or even enjoy the weather).  It was always off to visit Grandma Eunice or Aunt Sue or etc.  Even when I wasnt visiting family I spent my time at a lake, hours away from any friends I had.

It was somewhere in these summers that I developed an enjoyment addiction of video games.  It didnt matter how nice the weather would be, or what else I had to do, I had one desire:  to play video games.  One particular time I picked up a game that would rule every last one of my subsequent summers.  It was a simpler time, before I checked metacritic and reviews before buying a game.  I just had a friend say that he had friend who liked the game.  So I bought it.  Phantasy Star Online.  And we played it.  Wed run through the levels excited by any new piece of equipment and enemy, astounded when we ran across a rare enemy or that glorious red box.  Always wondering where the next level would take us.  Eventually summer came and we parted.  And I kept playing.

I played it on a portable screen on the long trek to visit family (as well as the return trip).  I played it after we returned.  My mom got sick of it. I remember her frustration, Why are you still playing that game? Look outside! And I would.  And it would be perfect outside, any sane person would be enjoying the lake, but I couldnt.  I was too much a part of Ragol.  My heart still pounded each time I saw that red box lying in the pool of blood as the enemy faded into the ground.  She enforced curfews.  I could only play before 11 or after 9.  In reality, it didnt help any.  Id play during those times, and then go outside, but Ill be damned if I remember doing anything in those hours inbetween but thinking about the monsters Id slay, the weapons Id wield and the power Id gain.

Eventually the summer would end.  Wed return home.  School would start back up.  Id get in touch with my friends.  I still had the desire to play, but I had other drives too.  So, the game faded as I got in touch with reality.  But summer rolled back around and I was in the same scenario.  I had an urge to play the game again, so I did.  I reached Ultimate, and loading into it made my heart pound more.  The new textures and enemies made it feel new again.  I struggled, taking hours just to get through the forest alone.  I once again wondered what the next level would look like, how all the enemies would change.  I plunged into web forums to figure out what I could get from each enemy, how I could get the best equipment.  Now, the breaks I was forced to take from the game turned into a time to plan out my hunts and dream about how great it would feel to get the weapons I so wanted.  The waves Id traverse on the lake became just metaphors for the fights Id encounter and overcome in the game.

This cycle repeated itself each year.  My friends would still want to play, but my characters would far out level theirs, so I made and leveled characters for them.  Through character deletions (worth 1000+ hours) and every school year, this addiction persisted.  It became something to do to pass the time or forget about any troubles I had in order to just try and get that next red box.

Its later now.  My friends and I graduated high school and are all spread out across the country.  I dont know what to think about this game.  This past summer was the first Ive been able to go an entire summer without playing it since I first got the game almost a decade ago, but some things dont change: Every time the grass is cut just right or the sun feels a certain way on my skin, I feel this unbearable urge to go back to Ragol and search again for those red boxes.

#10 10/16/10 12:09 PM

cycophuk's Default Avatar
cycophuk
My special moment had to be beating Skies of Arcadia.  I don't have any long, drawn out story with it or any emotional ties that relates to family members or friends.  I just spent hours upon hours playing that I just got sucked into the world.  When it ended I was so happy and sad all at the same time.  Happy to be able to see the adventure through, but sad because it came to an end.  It was and still is a great game.

#11 10/16/10 12:10 PM

Tomeron's Default Avatar
Tomeron
Despite the ridiculous shipping cost, I decided to participate anyways just for fun, even if I can't win.

As an avid Team Fortress 2 player with 300+ hours, one of my most memorable gaming moments isn't from when I was a little kid, but actually from about a year or two ago.

I will add footnotes for those who don't play TF2 and might not know some of the terms.

As a beginner to Team Fortress 2, I played a lot in public servers and absolutely loved the Spy (how could you not? He can cloak, and disguise as the enemy!), and so I gained a lot of experience with that class and became pretty good in public servers.

One time, I played in ctf_2fort (a capture the flag map) as a blue spy on a 12v12 server.
I saw a red heavy-medic combo* coming up, and so I cloaked. The heavy noticed me cloaking, and started spamming his minigun trying to find me. Luckily, he couldn't find me and I managed to decloak right behind the heavy and the medic.

I then started following the combo, and just when they came to a corner I backstabbed the heavy - instant kill! Luckily for me, the medic went past the heavy when they reached the corner and didn't even see the heavy getting stabbed.

I immediately started walking backwards, pulled my disguise menu and disguised as a red heavy. A split second later, the medic came back. I was prepared to start shooting him with my revolver, and just before I pulled the trigger - he started healing me.

Surprised by the medic's hasty move, I figured he thinks I'm the same heavy who just walked with him a few seconds ago, and so I decided to take advantage of the situation and keep going, pretending to be a red heavy. For some odd reason, the medic never bothered to spy-check me, and because I had a medic behind me who healed me, the entire enemy team didn't bother checking!

And so I continued going deeper in the red base, and went upstairs next to the red spawn. As expected from a public server, the room was filled with teleporters, sentries and dispensers. I pulled out my sapper**, and started sapping all the buildings. There were so many Engineer buildings in this room, that the single Engineer standing there couldn't handle it all, and I destroyed at least 6 of them - and no one suspected it was me, since the medic was healing me (he was completely oblivious and didn't even see that I was the one sapping the buildings).

Feeling I won't be able to keep this up for much longer, I decided it's time to pull my knife out and start killing (once I attack with my knife, my disguise will be lost and the medic will see I'm a spy). I figured my easiest target was the medic, and so I turned around, backstabbed him and lost my disguise. The engineer, still busy repairing all the damaged teleporters, was a sitting duck. I ran to him and stabbed him. I then stood next to the red spawn and waited for people to spawn - 2 came out, and as they were running to the left while I was standing to their right, I stabbed both of them (one of them was the heavy from before - poor guy!).

A sniper on the balcony saw me and started shooting, and so I ran back to my spawn to heal. 30 seconds later, I spot the same heavy-medic combo again - and just as before, I stab the heavy and take his role.

The medic, learning from his recent mistakes, didn't fall for my trick again, and pulled his saw. I saw it (pun intended?) and started shooting him with my revolver, but I didn't make it - he slashed me with his saw, and ended my killing spree.

That's one of my memorable gaming moments! It's moments like these that make TF2 so great. It's rare for a game to stay fresh and entertaining after years (not to mention it's constantly getting updated, but whether or not these updates add to the entertainment value is questionable).

I don't really have a chance to win, since shipping over here cost 75 bucks and I wouldn't want the OP to pay that to ship the video card here, but I figured I'll just post this here for the laughs!

Tomeron.

*A combo of a heavy (a very powerful class that has the most HP in the game) and a medic, who heals the heavy. It's very hard to break this combo because the heavy is constantly healed, and the medic is protected by the heavy.
**A sapper is a spy tool that allows the spy to sap an Engineer building, rendering it useless and slowly draining health from it. The only way to destroy a sapper is if the Engineer hits it with his wrench.

#12 10/16/10 1:39 PM

Mahsvector's Default Avatar
Mahsvector
I have a million favorite moments in solo play, most of them in an RPG of some sort. The best ones, though, have always been in co-op play.
      My high school gaming was a time of FPS. Quake II being my personal favorite, though I sucked miserably. Ogres using finely kept mice and boards are just clumsy. At one point my little brother convinced a friend to leave his rig at our house when  he went away on family vacation and when me and the boys got to doing some LAN matches, little bro included. 
      My best gaming moment is a short one. It was at 2am, after a gallon or more of caffeine, when, with eyes blood shot, my baby brother wiped the floor with every damn one of us. Little sprat still rubs it in my face, now he just does it with HALO.

#13 10/16/10 1:41 PM

Virogar's Default Avatar
Virogar
Hopefully this won't come off as a fanboy response, but hands down my first jaw-drop moment would probably when I walked into Rivendell while playing Lord of the Rings: Online. Haivng been an avid reader of Tolkien's works, I decided to offer my services to the developer when they were running a closed beta. It's been three years since then, and I've been continually amazed by the amount of detail that Turbine has invested into the game.

I've done everything from dance with Tom Bombadil, find the three stone trolls in the Trollshaws, crawled into Goblin town, and even climb the Mallorn trees of Lorien.

Most immersive game I've ever played!

#14 10/16/10 2:06 PM

Janet Reno's Default Avatar
Janet Reno
My most memorable gaming experience was when Natural Selection was first released on Halloween or something like that in 2002.

It was a LAN party with about 7 or 8 of us and we played that thing all night.  It was awesome.  And horribly unbalanced.  But the game was fun.  Aliens eventually got tons of upgrades to balance things out later on.
No one was drunk.

That is all.

#15 10/16/10 4:01 PM

link2123's Default Avatar
link2123
Ok I have to admit I have a two that really stick out in my mind above all. The first was right after the release of Bioshock and I had been pumped for months to finally sink teeth into the game. I played nonstop for days and found the bee plasmid which completely made my day(s). I spent hours just shooting bees everywhere and smacking the crap out of the splicers with the wrench before finally making it to Fort Frolic where the mad artist Cohen lived. After completing all his little errands around the district (with my now new favorite weapon, the crossbow) you get to a scripted event where he freaks and sends a whole gang of splicers to carve you to pieces.

Now normally this would be another brawl to the death where you're plasmid juiced character would mop the floor up with the would be attackers and you'd go about your business, but this time something was different. Before I process the ambush Tchaikovsky's Waltz of the Flowers is suddenly blaring from the speakers around me and the splicers where on top of me, pipes, guns, hooks, and all. Without hesitation I pulled out the chemical thrower and switched to napalm.

There is something glorious and simply artistic about tens of burning junkies falling to the floor at your feet as you sway around the room in a waltz with your flamethrower.

I specifically reloaded my game from the last save so I could make a savepoint just so I could do that any day I wanted to after.

My second isn't quite as "glorious" in my mind but was by far the coolest play I've ever made in Halo. It all happened at my 17th birthday party when my friends and I were playing some good ole' Halo 3 on the big screen and chowing down on pizza and energy drinks. We're playing on Valhalla and I have this fetish for the Banshee so naturally I instantly take to the air and go about committing genocide on all the fowl red team! As I dip into the river and splatter one enemy my friend suddenly jumps from he rocks over me and tries to hijack my Banshee. I quickly do the upward Banshee trick causing my aircraft to do a back flip and jolt into the air as the other player is right above me. What resulted was the coolest mid air splatter/rag doll catapult I have ever seen on any replay. The body ended up somewhere out of the normal bounds of the map and we both just kind of sat there in awe before the "THAT WAS AWESOME!" set in.

• Forum
  •  » News
  •  » Contest #2: Win VisionTek's Radeon HD 5550 GPU

Board footer

Optimized for 1280x1024 @ 32 bit
Fueled by FluxBB
Top 20 Posts
Who's Online
Index Map
About Us