reviewstash

by the stash, for the stash

Guest Information

Reviewstash isn't just another technology review website - it's your review website! Registered members can submit reviews to be featured on the home page, participate in contests, and ask questions in the forums - register today to get started! Registration also removes interstitial ads.
Topic rating: 0

#1 1/16/12 1:33 PM

Daniel Levy United States
Staff
Note: UTF Spokesman

Website

I know that a few people have been working on arenas. Is anyone interested in having a coordinated PVP league? I could help provide prizes and resources. People could come to watch at specific times.

1/16/12 1:33 PM

Advertisement Bot

#2 1/16/12 1:52 PM

Kid2277 Canada
Award: Contributor Diamond 1
*raises hand*

A good PVP match will shake things up every once in a while. I think we should have someone record battles for any people who can't attend (I'd do it).

Regretting my username since '10

#3 1/16/12 3:30 PM

verythinice's Default Avatar
verythinice
Sounds good to me, especially because there are now three arenas in progress or built. I was actually kinda wondering how I would get people to play once I finished mine, and this would really help.

Also, I noticed that each arena is close to or affiliated with a town. The Neverland arena is in Neverland (big surprise, right?), Kura's chaos arena is near Mosscow, and The Pit is just over the mountain from Noche (I should build a tunnel or something when I'm done). Maybe tournaments at each one can have different prizes or something.

#4 1/16/12 4:29 PM

Kurathedog United States
Non-Vanilla Moderator
Note: Time consumed by school.

Good idea!
I would suggest rewards themed to the town, except neverland is themed around traps and noche isn't really themed, as far as I know. Mosscow has snow and ice. Or it can just be each person puts in the same amount, and winner gets it all. 
My arena unfortunately requires me to aquire some cattle, so I can provide armor. Ah well, aimless wandering time.
Plus, each of the three arenas seems to have a different theme.
(Note, I had added a lot of cactus to the neverland arena when I fixed the piston doors, you should probably remove them to make it less cramped)
Chaos arena: You vs. Opponent vs. Arena (AKA hazards and random events)
The Pit: Lots of supplies and loot, team play.
Neverland: Gladiator style.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
-Robert J. Hanlon

#5 1/17/12 10:02 AM

rtlkage United States
We could also have a spleef league.

#6 1/17/12 10:56 AM

Staff

Website

It might be cool if, similar to Kura's idea, each arena is of a different variety. One of the arenas could be a spleef arena.

To take the top prize, you have to win all of the arenas.

It would help promote intercity commerce!

tongue

#7 1/17/12 11:16 AM

Hawkdude12 United Kingdom
Veteran
Note: Will be back in 1 to 1000 days

Different Arena Ideas (may build one of these near Noche:

Capture the flag. One/two wool blocks. Diverse, massive battleground, bring the flag back to your base.
Minecart arena. You can fire arrows from carts right? 2 tracks with slopes a the edges, and you try and kill them.
Netherack arena. I'd build this with an outside walls and ceiling 'cause it can look ugly. Netherack Floor, Flint'N'Steel. You can put flames out and knockback opponents with your fist. Hilarity Ensues.
Obviously, we need a non lethal, dirt or other spleef arena.
Mob Arena: Underground, with a non-lethal mob tower, winner is the person with the most inventory (luck based and highly unlikely to be built)
Trap arena, Gladiator style arena, like in netherland, stone floor and piston/arrow traps. Gotta be careful!
Maze Arena: Derp, figure it out. Wood Swords/Spleef but with a maze.
Button Arena: Perhaps the best yet most unlikely one yet. 2 1x10 block lanes, and buttons on the opponent's side that corresponds to blocks on the other side, which open. You can't see your opponent, to make matches more tense, and less cheaty and it would be impossible to spam all the butons because they wouldn't all be next to each other, some will be higher and lower on the wall infront of you, to prevent spamming. Anyone understand this one?
Any other suggestions? I think I'll build the CTF arena. I don't expect any of the above to be built, but there's some suggestions for new ones, to vary the ones on the scene at the moment.

Also as a request, every arena should have an area with several beds and chests for convenient fighting.

Last edited by Hawkdude12 (1/17/12 11:27 AM)

Bored.

#8 1/17/12 11:21 AM

Staff

Website

The plot of land, where Eatmydst and Merkoka's sphere used to be, in Spawn City, should have an arena.

#9 1/17/12 11:44 AM

Veteran

If it will work, I could build the cart arena. Ill make it out of colourful wool (thats how its spelt in UK) It's too small for the CTF arena. Ill need a lot of Infinite bows/arrows though. Written on a 3ds, so don't expect a fast reply.

Bored.

#10 1/17/12 2:07 PM

Kurathedog United States
Non-Vanilla Moderator

Note about cart arena:
1. Dropping blocks on the track stops carts. Might have to test shooting arrows onto the track
2. Fully charged arrow breaks carts.

Ice's arena might be capture the flag. It could also be interchangable. You should ask him.
Really, three arenas should be good enough for now.
Basic, team, FFA, in-arena loot, RNG, King of the hill, and maybe CTF are all covered by the three arenas.

I designed a piston based chest lock system that lets players drop off their items in one chest, then pick up the arena supplies from the other. Still needs to finish wiring though.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
-Robert J. Hanlon

#11 1/17/12 2:18 PM

Veteran

Nope. I had a CTF plan for a while now. And I'm not talking a really small circular arena, its going to be quite large. I'll test the minecarts and it sucks about fully powered ones breaking them.

Bored.

#12 1/17/12 2:21 PM

Veteran

Also I.m thinking of the flag being a lever in a chest which you activate on a podium in your base to win.

Bored.

#13 1/17/12 3:36 PM

verythinice's Default Avatar
verythinice
As my arena is almost a direct copy of a halo map, it works for a lot, including ctf (probably wool+victory monument), team battles, free for all, assault (kinda a reverse ctf), king of the hill (not sure how it will work in minecraft though), and maybe more that I'm forgetting. If you want to build a dedicated ctf map, I could just limit mine to other types. Or, you know, we could just have two ctf capable maps. To spice tournaments up or if people get bored of one or the other.

#14 1/17/12 3:39 PM

Kurathedog United States
Non-Vanilla Moderator

Minecarts being broken by damage shouldn't be too shocking.
And think of real life. Even if you had the idea first, if someone else implements it first they get the credit. (Think the stupid facebook origins debate). Ice has already built about 90% of the arena (don't quote me on that).
And the flag could be a piece of wool. Don't really need redstone to see if someone won, you can have multiple wools to capture (say 3 each team), it's harder for a team to "cheat" by making their own lever, or using their own lever (each team has different colors of wool to cap, and it changes each match).
And I can see why you have so many posts. One line posts 3 minutes after the previous one in the same thread. You can edit your posts, you know. (Might also be me and my tendancy to rant.)

Aaand I spent so long idling while typing this that ice beat me. Lol.

Last edited by Kurathedog (1/17/12 3:40 PM)

-Robert J. Hanlon

#15 1/17/12 11:31 PM

Veteran

Hmm, I generally forget to edit. Still making the LARGE SCALE pvp. I wish you could have different keys for doors, that would be great.
Hmm maybe a tf2 style CTF. 2fort?
And there's no reason to limit match types. You have a themed variety arena ice.

Last edited by Hawkdude12 (1/18/12 12:38 AM)

Bored.

Board footer

Optimized for 1280x1024 @ 32 bit
Fueled by FluxBB
Top 20 Posts
Who's Online
Index Map
About Us