reviewstash

by the stash, for the stash

Guest Information

Reviewstash isn't just another technology review website - it's your review website! Registered members can submit reviews to be featured on the home page, participate in contests, and ask questions in the forums - register today to get started! Registration also removes interstitial ads.
Topic rating: 3

#91 2/22/12 6:46 PM

pyrof7 United States
Award: Contributor Diamond 4
Note: Road Warrior
iheartjackie wrote:

pyrof7 wrote:

I also enjoy making skins. On some website that i forget there is this randomizer thing and it will pick a whole bunch of random stuff for you. Some of the combonations that come out of it are pretty funny.

Yeah, I think I've been there before. At least, it sounds familiar. I haven't been on any skin making sites in months.

BTW, Rocket Power. Haven't seen that in a while.

Yeah it was definitely a good show back in the day......

Just remembered the site it's, minershoes.com
It makes editing skins slot easier, you can also even search people's minecraft ign and edit their skin. So it's a pretty useful tool.

2/22/12 6:46 PM

Advertisement Bot

#92 2/22/12 7:57 PM

drojas11 United States
Hahaha! Yes, I am the same person tongue. Oh wow, keyboard tie sounds great. I've always wanted one of those. smile. Not too sure about the weed tongue.

Alright, I wont mention hipsters again. smile. Sometimes hipsters can be a little too much, like giant holes in ears... yikes.
Thanks so much!

#93 2/22/12 9:12 PM

cosyn United States
Buried Alive
It must be so hard to keep track of all the players' requests for skins... I compliment you on your hard work.

Yes, I would like to keep the revolvers while having the repeater rifle on the skin's back.

#94 2/23/12 12:47 PM

Hawkdude12 United Kingdom
Veteran
Note: Will be back in 1 to 1000 days

All those 2d weapons will slow you right down cosyn.

Also, so I'd feel really awesome, would it be possible to inscribe LYK A BAWS into the back of the hawks worth skin,mor is that asking to much?

Last edited by Hawkdude12 (2/23/12 12:53 PM)

Bored.

#95 2/23/12 2:46 PM

iheartjackie United States
Skin Designer
pyrof7 wrote:

Yeah it was definitely a good show back in the day......

Just remembered the site it's, minershoes.com
It makes editing skins slot easier, you can also even search people's minecraft ign and edit their skin. So it's a pretty useful tool.

Yeah, that skin searching thing would be very helpful...you know, I think MCSkin3D does too. I'll have to look at that site again.

drojas11 wrote:

Hahaha! Yes, I am the same person tongue. Oh wow, keyboard tie sounds great. I've always wanted one of those. smile. Not too sure about the weed tongue.

Alright, I wont mention hipsters again. smile. Sometimes hipsters can be a little too much, like giant holes in ears... yikes.
Thanks so much!

No, no, it wasn't the fact she had flesh plugs--I don't care about that. They're neat, I would never get it done because you have to THINK about, you know? You have to be very committed to having huge holes in your ears for the rest of your life. SHE wasn't. SHE just did it because it wasn't a fad. SHE didn't do because she LIKED it, she didn't do it because she though it was neat, SHE did it because no one ELSE was doing it. And now she'll have to go through life with scarred up ears because you have to cut them with a razor to get them anyway back to normal. SHE IS A POSEUR IDIOT. Anyone who doesn't think body modifications through and only does it for fads DESERVES to have scars and and deformed ears.

Oh, and I should have a preview of your skin later today or by tomorrow. I might be a little late because I've been very busy lately playing GTA working some double shifts. Yeah.

cosyn wrote:

It must be so hard to keep track of all the players' requests for skins... I compliment you on your hard work.

Yes, I would like to keep the revolvers while having the repeater rifle on the skin's back.

Uuuhhh...I am having trouble making your shotgun...I...I can't make it look like a gun. It looks like a grey and gold turd. I'm sorry...I failed...*is defeated*

Hawkdude12 wrote:

All those 2d weapons will slow you right down cosyn.

Also, so I'd feel really awesome, would it be possible to inscribe LYK A BAWS into the back of the hawks worth skin,mor is that asking to much?

Yes, it would. You can't get TWO letters on there, let alone eight.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7210/6893055151_9eb366ef8d_t.jpg

See that? That's the STANDARD SIZE of skins. Can you imagine putting "LYK A BAWS" onto the back of that? I couldn't even do it in Morse code!

I draw the line at lettering, man! DRAW THE LINE! *means it lyk a baws*

(In case you didn't know, most of that was sarcasm, but, yeah, I'm not doing lettering.)

#96 2/23/12 4:54 PM

Schematix United States
Avenger
Note: The Elusive Derpsloth

Can I has cosyn's skin? big_smile

I want to experiment with the rifle a bit.

If you posted it earlier, then I must be blind cuz' I don't see it D:

#97 2/23/12 5:55 PM

Skin Designer
Schematix wrote:

Can I has cosyn's skin? big_smile

I want to experiment with the rifle a bit.

If you posted it earlier, then I must be blind cuz' I don't see it D:

No, I didn't post it. Here's a link to it, though. Good luck!

#98 2/23/12 6:49 PM

Schematix United States
Avenger
Note: The Elusive Derpsloth

I forgot to ask you this in my previous post, but what does increasing the resolution do? It goes from 16 pixels to 64 pixels I believe, and down to as little 1 pixel.

Could we use the higher resolution to do a bit more detail on the skins and it still function in the game? Or do we need some sort of mod that allows for higher resolution skins?

Also, how did deadmau5 get effing ears?

http://nerdreactor.com/wp-content/uploa … o1_500.jpg

#99 2/23/12 6:53 PM

drojas11 United States
Alright thanks! Can't wait to see it! big_smile

#100 2/23/12 7:20 PM

Skin Designer
Schematix wrote:

I forgot to ask you this in my previous post, but what does increasing the resolution do? It goes from 16 pixels to 64 pixels I believe, and down to as little 1 pixel.

Could we use the higher resolution to do a bit more detail on the skins and it still function in the game? Or do we need some sort of mod that allows for higher resolution skins?

Also, how did deadmau5 get effing ears?

http://nerdreactor.com/wp-content/uploa … o1_500.jpg

Higher and lower resolution skins will not work in-game--at least, they won't look like they should. It's kinda like putting an adult size Batman costume and a toddler size Batman costume on a seven year old: the adult size costume will have the symbol is on his stomach, the boots will be dragging on the floor, the belt will be at his calves, etc.; but the toddler costume will have his legs and arms exposed, the symbol will be at his neck, the belt at his waist--you get what I mean, right?

That option is there mostly for people who do high and lower resolution texture packs. I guess, if you really want it in-game, you can go into the files and change it, but you'll need the MCPatcher and you'd be the only one to see it.

The ears are from a mod, I believe, but if you ever get it installed, no one will be able to see it server-side. It's kinda like the Mine Little Pony mod: everybody needs it installed or the server needs Bukkit to see it.

drojas11 wrote:

Alright thanks! Can't wait to see it! big_smile

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7058/6924693521_c4ed5f2549_b.jpg

You know, working on a bunch of suits makes you realize men have been wearing the SAME DAMN THING since 1837.

UPDATE YOUR GODDAMN WARDROBE!

#101 2/23/12 7:44 PM

Kurathedog United States
Non-Vanilla Moderator
Note: Time consumed by school.

Yup. Minecraft reads the skin file by saying "Alright, everything within this pixel area on top goes on the player model this way, and all these go on that way". If you make the skin larger than it should, it starts grabbing different parts of your face and pasting them on your chest and top of your head.

This is like texture packs. The game by default splits it into 8x8 pixel squares. Then when it wants, say the brick texture, it goes 3 rows down, and 5 across (I made those up. Don't have MC on mah laptop), and takes the 8x8 square there and makes that the texture. When you try to do an HD texture pack, MC still goes to those same 64 pixels and tries to paste them onto bricks, so you might end up with a quarter of a block of sandstone instead. HD Patchers tell Minecraft how to properly load the textures.

The game grabs all the skins from the MC servers and displays them that way. Even if you do get a clientside mod that renders your skin the way you want it too, it won't render properly for anyone who doesn't have it. And yes, clients do it this way. This is how stuff like mob disguise lets you disguise as Notch, complete with the skin automatically.

I am somewhat ashamed to say this, but I saw this from the My little pony mod. I was curious how they got the skins and models to look different for the players. I never touched it. I just learned about it from Yogscast being extremely strange. Although that mod was for fitting skins to different models. HD would be even more screwed up than a person with a pony face.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
-Robert J. Hanlon

#102 2/23/12 8:22 PM

Skin Designer
Kurathedog wrote:

Yup. Minecraft reads the skin file by saying "Alright, everything within this pixel area on top goes on the player model this way, and all these go on that way". If you make the skin larger than it should, it starts grabbing different parts of your face and pasting them on your chest and top of your head.

This is like texture packs. The game by default splits it into 8x8 pixel squares. Then when it wants, say the brick texture, it goes 3 rows down, and 5 across (I made those up. Don't have MC on mah laptop), and takes the 8x8 square there and makes that the texture. When you try to do an HD texture pack, MC still goes to those same 64 pixels and tries to paste them onto bricks, so you might end up with a quarter of a block of sandstone instead. HD Patchers tell Minecraft how to properly load the textures.

The game grabs all the skins from the MC servers and displays them that way. Even if you do get a clientside mod that renders your skin the way you want it too, it won't render properly for anyone who doesn't have it. And yes, clients do it this way. This is how stuff like mob disguise lets you disguise as Notch, complete with the skin automatically.

I am somewhat ashamed to say this, but I saw this from the My little pony mod. I was curious how they got the skins and models to look different for the players. I never touched it. I just learned about it from Yogscast being extremely strange. Although that mod was for fitting skins to different models. HD would be even more screwed up than a person with a pony face.

You described it much better. XD Thanks.

BTW, you don't have to be ashamed about the MLP: FiM mod. It's a very interesting mod in concept even if it's attached to the cartoon.

Oh, and I just want to say, I am not a fan of the modern ponies, the cartoon nor the toy design. Eighty ponies are awesome though.

#103 2/23/12 8:31 PM

Kurathedog United States
Non-Vanilla Moderator
Note: Time consumed by school.

I just tend to understand these kinds of things.
The way I got really into MC is by downloading MCP, decompiling minecraft, and surfing through the code. I learn a lot of these things also simply by reading what other people have found (The wiki is your friend), experimentation, and educated guesses that I can pass off as knowledge.

I don't like it because of the community that has become attached to it. In my opinion, it was a joke thing, where everyone said they liked it, then people stuck with the joke so long they started believing in it. And there is all the "strange" side of the internet. I've never really been into TV stuff at all. The only series I have pretty much seen all of is Mythbusters. Cartoons, also, are usually too cheesy and cookie cutter. Scripted plots almost always follow one of a set of overused plots. And series lack originality that movies can make, because they have to make many seasons of it. You can only have so many original and interesting ideas.

Out of curiosity, how much do you know of TF2? I had the strange idea a while ago of making a Level 3 sentry skin. But don't worry bout it, I can tell you have a lot to work on, and I probably won't use it. I already have my three troll skins if I ever get bored of this one.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
-Robert J. Hanlon

#104 2/23/12 8:56 PM

pyrof7 United States
Award: Contributor Diamond 4
Note: Road Warrior
Kurathedog wrote:

The way I got really into MC is by downloading MCP, decompiling minecraft, and surfing through the code. I learn a lot of these things also simply by reading what other people have found (The wiki is your friend), experimentation, and educated guesses that I can pass off as knowledge.

I don't like it because of the community that has become attached to it. In my opinion, it was a joke thing, where everyone said they liked it, then people stuck with the joke so long they started believing in it. And there is all the "strange" side of the internet. I've never really been into TV stuff at all. The only series I have pretty much seen all of is Mythbusters. Cartoons, also, are usually too cheesy and cookie cutter. Scripted plots almost always follow one of a set of overused plots. And series lack originality that movies can make, because they have to make many seasons of it. You can only have so many original and interesting ideas.

Out of curiosity, how much do you know of TF2? I had the strange idea a while ago of making a Level 3 sentry skin. But don't worry bout it, I can tell you have a lot to work on, and I probably won't use it. I already have my three troll skins if I ever get bored of this one.

I've always wondered where in the code, it gives players capes and stuff like that. I saw a minecraft video serveral months ago and it had DeadMau5 in it and he had his ears. It would be pretty cool to find out what you can make with those codes.

#105 2/23/12 9:01 PM

Skin Designer
Kurathedog wrote:

Yeah, I know about the skin size and such, I just wasn't sure how to describe it. Brain fart and all. XD

I don't like My Little Pony because of the writing: it uses the predictable story lines and cliches along with spelling out the moral for the kids. Admittedly, some stuff is rather entertaining but nothing groundbreaking like I thought it would be. Lauren Faust, the producer, has done much, MUCH better work: know the Powerpuff Girls? While it did follow some the "special episodes" and "sitcom cliches" sometimes, it had generally interesting stories which were on the level with the kids, not speaking down TO the kids, if you understand. This is especially apparent as MLP uses the Mork and Mindy sign-off technique (where the episode is summarized with a tidy little moral tacked at the end) to make sure that it REALLY gets to the kids 'cause they're much too dumb to get things themselves!

I've heard of TF2, but I've never played it (I've only recently gotten high-speed internet and it's not the most reliable). I have three skins to work on, and I'm accepting robots, so, you know, if that Level 3 sentry was a robot, I'd make it for you if you want.

Board footer

Optimized for 1280x1024 @ 32 bit
Fueled by FluxBB
Top 20 Posts
Who's Online
Index Map
About Us