reviewstash

by the stash, for the stash

Guest Information

Reviewstash isn't just another technology review website - it's your review website! Registered members can submit reviews to be featured on the home page, participate in contests, and ask questions in the forums - register today to get started! Registration also removes interstitial ads.
Topic rating: 0

#1 3/26/12 6:22 PM

Morphalias's Default Avatar
Morphalias

I'm making a new city, I don't have a name for it yet and I'm looking for people to join it and I need ideas.

3/26/12 6:22 PM

Advertisement Bot

#2 3/26/12 6:55 PM

Harlson United States
BAMF
Award: Contributor Diamond 6+
Harlsonville, Harlson City, Harlsonopolis, Harlson Valley

http://www.picgifs.com/games-gifs/games-gifs/minecraft/picgifs-minecraft-35411.gif

#3 3/26/12 6:58 PM

GareBear35 United States
I don't know what you want the city to be like but i think 'Haven' is a good name.

#4 3/26/12 8:23 PM

cosyn United States
Buried Alive
How can we give a good name if we have no idea of what its theme and location are?

From the information you gave me, I would recommend Morphopolis.

#5 3/26/12 8:26 PM

Kurathedog United States
Non-Vanilla Moderator
Note: Time consumed by school.

Not complaining, as it doesn't affect me with my current approach to the server but...

We have quite a lot of cities/towns already. And they are all suffering from the ghost town effect, to some degree.
People move into town. Some people take a break from town/busy IRL/moved. Other people notice town slowly emptying, leave. New people build in town, notice it is mostly empty, leave. End result: Quite a lot of abandoned buildings.
Let's see how many I miss: Spawn, Nueva Noche, Mosscow, Openville, Name pending, Pirate cove, Quarry town.
People also tend to adapt a more nomadic approach to life.

But go ahead! Feel free to do anything. I am intruiged to see what sort of towns people build.
I wonder if I can do some sort of social experiment...

For names, what distinguishing features are there of your town do you plan on having, if any?

Hmmm... that gives me a new playstyle idea, which I probably won't adapt to: The populator. Migrates to new towns and just builds houses.

Last edited by Kurathedog (3/26/12 8:27 PM)

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
-Robert J. Hanlon

#6 3/26/12 9:18 PM

Shandrew82's Default Avatar
Shandrew82 United States
Champion
Award: Contributor Diamond 3

Omg kura you just described my playstyle! I have a house in almost every town on the server >.<

http://i.imgur.com/4X8Bt5y.jpg

#7 3/26/12 9:33 PM

Kurathedog United States
Non-Vanilla Moderator

Ah. Haven't been able to see what people are up to much, nor check out towns.

I originally planned to connect every town to the other one through a simple house with a secret network of underground tunnels. Unfortunately, that was when I was disillusioned into thinking that we would learn from our old world and stay relatively close together.

It is a great playstyle for people who enjoy building and want to experiment with different architecture. Not for people like me (megaprojects).

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
-Robert J. Hanlon

#8 3/26/12 9:38 PM

gotkaya United States

My guess is if people stopped calling their places towns or cities, other people would stop crying about it. lol 

Oh and name pending isn't even close to a city, it's a rail that leads to my lab, and 2000 block later schem's castle.

Then there's the fact that ya'll hate ghost towns and as a result loathe new towns when the reality is those people that are building new towns typically have no part in the older ones becoming ghost towns, and shouldn't suffer from it.

Lets instead make a list of those people that actually started a town and let it fall into the label of a being ghost town.  who started mosscow? who started NN? who started sailors retreat (not called pirated cove btw)?  who started openville?   If we're gonna hang people, lets start with them big_smile

My personal experience when i started on this server was that I was happy to join a town, cause that meant I would be building with other people.  Totally what a server should be and I was excited about it.  Come to find out later that it wasn't the case at all, I was stuck in town with someone who loved to troll me, and the other people that built in the town were off building in a different one now... even the person who started the building out there...  Anyway after I couldn't take the trolling anymore I decided it was a good time to jump ship and find a new place.   I've been there for 4 months now and the place is pimped out pretty well.

My opinion is it's totally fine to commit to starting a town, but if you're gonna commit to starting a town you better stick it out till the better end.  But let's not discourage new building because of old building we don't like... that's just ridiculous.

#9 3/26/12 10:11 PM

Kurathedog United States
Non-Vanilla Moderator

That is kind of my point. People have been starting towns and letting them fall. A lot of the founders have also vanished for long enough for the town to be classifiable as ghost.
I haven't really explored, so I was basing everything off of signs and what I have seen.
I don't want to blame people for ghost towns. I think the main cause of ghost towns is the general restlessness of new players. Not many settled players would dedicate their time to re-settling in a newly founded town. Then again, currently the school year, so significantly less people are playing. I expect a massive boom in permanent housing during the summer.
I am also just providing a sort of warning advice. Towns tend to be ghosted. If you dont' mind, then don't worry. If you do, then just keep it in mind.

I first settled near mosscow so that I can socialize while having enough room to build. Then Hobo and Gab vanish, so I decide to disappear to my island. And for the island, again, I am accepting that ghost towns, and that I might as well go all out if hermitization is common.

Also, I am glad you wrote a lot. Shows you are definiately capable of thinking. I would call you my apprentice, except you are on more than me, and you were already this good. Nice to see that I can more and more call that my "old" role. Finally I can take the role I keep wanting to take, but keep getting distracted from by the awesome community. cool

Last edited by Kurathedog (3/26/12 10:12 PM)

-Robert J. Hanlon

#10 3/26/12 11:00 PM

simplyskyler
Award: Contributor Diamond 1
Note: officially blown up by SDM
Though I am tired of the ghost towns, at the same time I'm glad that our projects are able to take such shape and grow so quickly. SR was created and nearly abandoned within the space of...what? A month? The place looks GREAT though, particularly with the create-a-boat rule established. It's freaking beautiful. So yeah, we have a lot of ghost towns.

At least most of them look decent.

Personally, I'm not making or claiming to make another town. I may make a personal base with lots of buildings or room for people who want to use my creations, but I won't ever claim to make a town. *shrugs* That new player restlessness, I feel, has finally left me and I am now dedicated to the creation and expansion of my base near spawn. Eventually (hopefully before a reset), it'll be an artificial swamp biome complete with a scenic swamptown. The underground will be my real base though, top bit is for visitors. Also, if anyone sees any little cobblestone huts in the desert out there, DON'T remove them. I'll pretty them up later, but for now PLEASE leave them. They go to important places. hmm

Did you remember to vote today?

http://minecraft-server-list.com/server/19056/

#11 3/26/12 11:20 PM

gotkaya United States

that's a good point skyler... Would we rather have an empty bay or a bay full of awesome ships?  An empty mountain or a mountain full of sweet houses and farms? A chilling cold snow biome or and derpy cold snow biome with derpy houses?   I'm okay with ghosts towns.

#12 3/26/12 11:27 PM

Hawkdude12 United Kingdom
Veteran
Note: Will be back in 1 to 1000 days

I just really dislike more travelling, to see this new town. The problem with SR was everybody just wanted to build ships (most likely for the contest) and tbh, who wants to live on a boat?

Let's make this proposal. You need 1 building (duh) then make a city, get a rail to it, get others to make it into a town. <- Not a complaint.

Bored.

#13 3/26/12 11:43 PM

simplyskyler
Eh, that's iffy Hawk. Currently, the only thing that makes a town a town is people calling it a town. Whether or not it is really a town is up for debate and it doesn't actually mean much in the grand scheme of things. Short of a "no build for you!" rule, you are NOT gonna stop ghost towns. I think what really needs to be established is a "build it or burn it" rule. If you start a project, have the decency to finish it and make it look good. If you don't want to do that, burn it down, blow it up, w/e. Just get rid of the eye-sore. A server full of good looking ghost towns is better than a server of nothing...and we got a lot of newly discovered area, I hear.

#14 3/26/12 11:51 PM

gotkaya United States

Hawkdude12 wrote:

I just really dislike more travelling, to see this new town.

wth is that supposed to mean?  i can has english pls?

Hawkdude12 wrote:

The problem with SR was everybody just wanted to build ships (most likely for the contest) and tbh, who wants to live on a boat?

Ya cause sweet looking ships make minecraft look stupid... that must be the problem.  That contest came along way after, and as a result of SR being a sweet place.  dumb assumptions are dumba$$.

Hawkdude12 wrote:

Let's make this proposal. You need 1 building (duh) then make a city, get a rail to it, get others to make it into a town. <- Not a complaint.

duh?  was that to help us understand what you meant?  It still doesn't make sense.    1 building then make a city?  i can has more english pls?

ya i know i'm mean... screw it.

#15 3/26/12 11:54 PM

simplyskyler
Yeah, I didn't understand it either. I just wrote something close to what I thought it meant in reply. *shrugs*

Board footer

Optimized for 1280x1024 @ 32 bit
Fueled by FluxBB
Top 20 Posts
Who's Online
Index Map
About Us