reviewstash

by the stash, for the stash

Guest Information

Reviewstash isn't just another technology review website - it's your review website! Registered members can submit reviews to be featured on the home page, participate in contests, and ask questions in the forums - register today to get started! Registration also removes interstitial ads.
Topic rating: 0

#1 3/31/12 12:33 PM

pyroftw
Well the current situation with dimension resets is a bit of a mess.

Problem: The end is reset randomly at various times

Benefits:
The enderdragon can be rekilled.
Costs:
It is unsafe to store items in the end
No one is willing to build an endermen farm
The end very quickly ends up dragonless

Solution 1:
Never reset the end again.

Benefits:
It is safe to build and store items in the end
Ender farm

Costs:
The ender dragon can never be rekilled

Solution 2:
Reset the end daily

Benefits:
The ender dragon can be rekilled
The end doesnt end up dragonless for long periods of time

Costs:
Cant build or store items in the end.

Solution 3:
Never reset the end, but use mc edit (or other method) to bring another enderdragon in.

Benefits:
The ender dragon can be rekilled
The end doesnt end up dragonless for long periods of time
Can build and store items, albeit far away from the mainland

Costs:
Dragon will be easier to kill,
Harder to implement (has to be done manually)

If you have another solution then please post it, along with costs and benefits.

3/31/12 12:33 PM

Advertisement Bot

#2 3/31/12 12:42 PM

Kurathedog United States
Non-Vanilla Moderator
Note: Time consumed by school.

Times are a changin.

New players typically prefer to adventure, but are also more prone to server hopping (adventuring the serverspace). When we got out of 1.7, the only survivors were the dedicated players who were willing to rebuild a permanent society. But the server was empty, so applications opened up for new players. Many new players preferred to adventure, and because the end was new, most of the builders wanted to fight him too. So people called for periodic resets to fix the complaints and problems with solo kills. It wasn't auto, just admin doing stuff.
But among the new players, a small percentage are permanent builders. And slowly that population has been building up. Notice how many players are preferring to build farms, permanent rails, enderman farms, etc.
So the general consensus is turning towards keeping the end now. Dragon is boring people again (just a good xp farm), and people want enderman farms now.
Problem with enderman farms, btw: single small end, 3 entrances, 1 exit. Public enderman farm would be silly with everyone going pearl crazy (not complaining, just noticing), and private ones would just be silly.

Can MCedit reset the dragon? I am pretty sure you can with a data editor like nbtedit, but MCEdit?
And it is a lot of work for SDM. He has to shut down the server every time. Seems scriptable, but a pain.
And, as you say, ender dragon ruining builds. Everyone will have to build far away, and rails aren't trustworthy as they can be dragoned. And one clever greifer can simply lead the dragon on a killing spree around the island.

My vote: Don't care. No option looks good to me. Just go ahead and see what the public wants.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
-Robert J. Hanlon

#3 3/31/12 12:56 PM

Hawkdude12 United Kingdom
Veteran
Note: Will be back in 1 to 1000 days

Adventuring has what point?....Uhhh. You cannot build a really bad house and say I'm an adventurer? God the community sucks. Learn this game to a well enough level so you can use other things than wood planks and cobble.

Now then: There are definitely mods to spawn an ender dragon.

A mod with commands could allow for a spawning of ender dragons

Resetting the end is not so dumb.

Bored.

#4 3/31/12 1:41 PM

goingsolo211 United States
Award: Contributor Diamond 1
Note: culinary seXXpert

I would personally prefer a permanent End. That way, we can build an enderman farm. not only could this be an awesome group build, but an awesome xp farm...

And an awesome way of getting around...

And an epic looking build in the End.

Another benefit of a permanent End is that we could build an awesome town there.

And lets face it, killing the dragon is too easy, and the amount of xp recieved for it is ridiculously high. Once is enough for it. I think getting to level 100 should be more challenging than killing a boring, lame dragon. So I think we should not even worry about getting a new dragon.

These are all the reasons I have for having a permanent, dragon-free End.

Official Skinner of the SDVSS OPs.

http://reviewstash.com/showimage.php?pid=11766&filename=untitled1.JPG
NO <- OP intervention

#5 3/31/12 1:43 PM

Kurathedog United States
Non-Vanilla Moderator

Hawkdude12 wrote:

Adventuring has what point?....Uhhh. You cannot build a really bad house and say I'm an adventurer? God the community sucks. Learn this game to a well enough level so you can use other things than wood planks and cobble.

Wat?

Ok, let's break this down, one part at a time.

Hawkdude12 wrote:

Adventuring has what point?....Uhhh.

Are you asking about the point of adventuring, or are you mocking the question? If you are asking, some people enjoy it. If you are mocking it, neither me nor pyro were asking that question. Pyro was talking about the end, and I was commenting on the trend which people who tend to adventure also tend to leave. Key word tend.

Hawkdude12 wrote:

You cannot build a really bad house and say I'm an adventurer?

Again, who are you talking to? Do you mean "You build a really bad house and call me an adventurer"? Or "You can't build a bad house and accuse me of being an adventurer". Either way, you are also wrong. I know adventurers who can build good houses, and I know people who build bad houses that aren't adventurers. Bad house does not imply adventurer, and visa versa.

Hawkdude12 wrote:

God the community sucks. Learn this game to a well enough level so you can use other things than wood planks and cobble.

Ok, wow. Who are you attacking?
New players? New players are using the vanilla server experience with a small community as a chance to learn the game. They at least build good houses. I am not expecting block fortress builds. And what other resources do you expect new players to get?
The built-in community? Why are you attacking them all of a sudden? Materials isn't everything. And people use netherbrick, stone brick, sandstone, etc. Maybe stop describing your own builds for once.
Also, "Learn this game to a well enough level". Coming from Hawk.

Hawkdude12 wrote:

Yes, a mod exists. No one said there weren't. This looks like a suggestion towards pyro's post. First constructive bit.
It should be automatable, so SDM won't have to worry about it. Some combo of dragonspawn mod + batch script + server console might be enough.

Hawkdude12 wrote:

Again, neither of us said it was. Pyro listed pros and cons. I described why I thought the community mood was changing as regarded to the end resets, and that no option stands out to me.
Also, care to elaborate? Describe your thought process (if any). Just stating that won't help other people. Think speech and debate. Convince people of your side.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
-Robert J. Hanlon

#6 3/31/12 1:48 PM

Kurathedog United States
Non-Vanilla Moderator

goingsolo211 wrote:

I would personally prefer a permanent End. That way, we can build an enderman farm. not only could this be an awesome group build, but an awesome xp farm...

And an awesome way of getting around...

And an epic looking build in the End.

Another benefit of a permanent End is that we could build an awesome town there.

And lets face it, killing the dragon is too easy, and the amount of xp recieved for it is ridiculously high. Once is enough for it. I think getting to level 100 should be more challenging than killing a boring, lame dragon. So I think we should not even worry about getting a new dragon.

These are all the reasons I have for having a permanent, dragon-free End.

I am leaning towards permanent end. However, I won't care for a long time.

Pro: Enderman farm is fast XP, more automatable, and has the added bonus of pearls.
Very easy way for me to get back to my island, and easy for others to return home.
No dragon ruining builds
People will keep soloing the dragon, luck of time frame for who gets there first.
Worries over trying to clear out in time.

Con: New players getting instant access to pearls might be interesting. Multiple farms will eat away at each other's efficiency. Single farm might have confliction between multiple people using it at once. Only three entrances (And I want one to be shut off to make silverfish farming easier). One exit depending on where the dragon is killed.

-Robert J. Hanlon

#7 3/31/12 1:49 PM

TheHaggis

well if the ned doesn't get reset then i will help build an enderman farm, so many benefits

#8 3/31/12 1:55 PM

Kurathedog wrote:

Multiple farms will eat away at each other's efficiency. Single farm might have confliction between multiple people using it at once. Only three entrances (And I want one to be shut off to make silverfish farming easier). One exit depending on where the dragon is killed.

Perhaps a rule that there can only be one farm and one person using it at a time?

http://reviewstash.com/showimage.php?pid=11766&amp;filename=untitled1.JPG
NO <- OP intervention

#9 3/31/12 2:31 PM

Veteran

When I say learn the game Kura, I meant how to build. I am not suggesting for one second that I am against new players. It's the hardcore players that build a small base and go adventuring that kinda get on my nerves. Mainly on other servers (So so Braggy are these adventurers). One once told me to walk 2000 blocks to check out his 'epic base' and it was a wooden house with windows with no defining features. When I asked how long he had been playing on the server, they replied '6 Months' . I do know this game. I have learned in the past month:
How to build a basic spawner trap.
How to make a piston door that folds forwards to make a hidden wall smooth
And, or (right, difficult I know!), xor and such.
How to make a bread maker.
Boat loading dock (except I can't see any practical uses for it.
Rant-Ish thing over.

Are there any ender spawners at the minute? There are OTHER exp farms and ender pearls aren't too difficult to obtain.
Thinking it would be better to reset the end, because I wouldn't reccomend storing any items there. (Bukkit has an auto Reset mod)
Problems- SDM having to reset the end quite often. Any Items would be deleted.

Proposed Idea. Once in a while, a player can request for a reset. This must be 2 weeks after the last one. There must be good cause. It should be completed with friends. You should share the xp. And such, Seems easy enough.

Bored.

#10 3/31/12 2:37 PM

Hawkdude12 wrote:

Proposed Idea. Once in a while, a player can request for a reset. This must be 2 weeks after the last one. There must be good cause. It should be completed with friends. You should share the xp. And such, Seems easy enough.

There would not, however, be a way to make an enderman xp farm, which, other than the dragon, is the best xp farm type in the game, if built right.

NO <- OP intervention

#11 3/31/12 2:44 PM

Veteran

It is? That was not to my knowledge. If so, let's do that.  I'm up for the farm idea now. No dragon.

Bored.

#12 3/31/12 3:22 PM

gotkaya United States

lol @ this whole thread.   Loved kura's relpy to hawk... makes me feel less dumb for not understanding hawk most of the time.

#13 3/31/12 3:45 PM

Daniel Levy United States
Staff
Note: UTF Spokesman

Website

Who said I was going to reset the end on a regular basis? What the heck is this even about?

#14 3/31/12 3:47 PM

umm, actually SDM, i think you did tongue

NO <- OP intervention

#15 3/31/12 4:34 PM

Guzzie United States
I think that the nether should be reset daily because adventuring.

Friendlier neighborhood OP, ask me if you need help on anything.

Have you completed the Great Challenge?

Board footer

Optimized for 1280x1024 @ 32 bit
Fueled by FluxBB
Top 20 Posts
Who's Online
Index Map
About Us